Thursday, September 20, 2012

Day four Mercy Ship. Priceless

A very early 4am start to travel to the most remote eye assessment place. A bit of a rocky start but things went very well. There were only about 1000 there to get assessed. The team is flat out amazing and I witnessed a level of patience and peace the passes all understanding. Yet again. The high today was seeing a man in the line and very clearly hearing the call to talk to him. He very humbly whispered to me that he had no eye problems but had a very bad hernia and gave me a quick peak. I knew I had to find a way to get him help but not draw attention or the masses around would surge to get help for ailments that were not eye related. I put my hands on his shoulders and whispered back to him. Brother today we are going to check your eyes. He understood what I meant and waited hours in Line out of pure faith I would get him past the yes or no treatment check point before the gate. When he got to that point the assessor flashes his light into his eyes and I leaned in to say please let this one pass for me. He was admitted. thank you for this grace this moment this amazing place. Thank you for the opportunity to help to heal to love a stranger now a friend. Thank you for the wind that guided us past the guards and gates and checks. Thank you for undeniable courage to fit just one more and to the trust on a frail wire of soo many needs. Against this high was the darkest sorrow of a youth maybe 14 years abandoned in the line only to be rejected because we just can't fix blindness and there I took his hand to lead him away looking frantically for his caregiver to pop out and then realizing there was no one. As I weeped I lead him to a bench where he sat knowing I too would leave him. Nothing but a prayer in a language he couldn't understand that I said in earnest Clutching his hands slowly backed away in the rain and chaos.

No comments:

Post a Comment