Tuesday, September 18, 2012

Day three Mercy Ships

A very early start today but everyone here gets up early with the call to prayer. It's a great wake up call and prompt to spend some time in silent reflection. We got on the road and went straight to the site for an eye screening. That's when the good people show up to get their eyes checked. It was a real surprise to see the need with some 4000 people there to get assessed. The high point for me was when I got part of the line singing to relive the anxiety and frustration of a long wait. I had to fight back the tears of joy at just how fast they jumped in to Sing and it all just started with me humming Amen amen amen. The low point for me was watching a very well put together women quietly leave the back of the line after hours of waiting in the rain and heat. So proud and wonderful yet so quietly and deeply disappointed clutching her elbows she walked away as if to say no one found me. I paused and wondered how many times she's tried and given up and wished I could do more but knowing I can't. So I just started humming amen amen amen

No comments:

Post a Comment